Once a week, BizEngine will deliver a roundup of small business news and advice from around the nation.
New Stimulus Plan No Boost For Small Biz
Whether it’s simply perception or the bill really isn’t going to do a heck of a lot for small businesses, President Barack Obama’s proposed stimulus plan hasn’t made many waves amongst small businesses.
According to CNNMoney, 70% of small businesses polled recently said they would not hire new employees if the plan became law. Out of the remaining 30%, just 11% said they would unequivocally hire if it became law.
What gives? If you look at the stimulus, there are things small businesses should like. There’s tax relief and promises of lifting some regulatory burdens, both of which should be welcome for struggling businesses who have been treading water since the recession began. Yet those promises aren’t winning very many over.
So really, this is about confidence. Most small businesses don’t trust the government, don’t like what they’ve seen from the President and Congress over the last year and aren’t exactly jumping up and down at another promise. To wit:
“I have a crisis of confidence problem,” said Chris Shirer, the CEO of Madison & Fifth, a 10-year-old digital marketing firm in Columbus, Ohio.Shirer is giving raises and bonuses with any extra money she makes to her staff of four people. She would be eligible for some tax relief for the raises. “That is great, “she said. “But I was going to give those raises anyway.”
Frankly, the President and Congressional Democrats have some real work to do if they’re going to win over small businesses on this one.
Facebook, It Is A-Changin’
As a Facebook user since 2003, I can tell you that I’ve seen my fair share of changes over the years.Most of them are met with wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the latest overhaul is no exception.
If you want to amuse yourself for ten minutes today, check out your feed on Facebook. As is always the case, there will be a week of outrage and people will go back to using the platforms
What does it mean for your small business? Suddenly, it’s a better idea to put more content on your Facebook page, because of the live newsfeed. Of course, it’s going to be harder to do that, because as of September 30 Facebook is going to block you from posting directly from your site to notes. In a nutshell, that means no more automatic uploading of content for your business page. That might trip some of you up.
Sound off on the changes in the comments, if you would.
Train In Social Media Or Else
If you have employees responsible for your social media presence online, you can’t afford to turn them loose without training. PointBlank expounds on that point.
Other Useful Links
Please suggest your own links in the comments! Thanks for reading.